Find yourself panicking over the Coronavirus? We were too, for a moment. But then we did our research. Coronavirus isn’t going to sway us from what we know to be true. As we like to say here at Inner Ocean Center for Healing, “the pathogen is nothing, the host is everything.”
Here are some up to date resources about Coronavirus that are important:
According to the CDC, the most common symptoms of Coronavirus are:
- shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
At this time, the CDC believes that symptoms may appear in as few as 2 days or as long as 14 days after exposure. Again, if you are a healthy and hearty person, your chances of contracting this virus (or any other virus) is slim.
Prolonged, toxic stress inhibits immune function, so whether it is fear about the coronavirus or excess stress at home or work, do what you can to give your system a break and restore. Exercise, acupuncture, a deeply nourishing diet, nutritional and herbal supplements recommended by your healthcare practitioner, qigong/tai chi, yoga, meditation, or whatever your “go-to” skills are that you use to unwind must take priority now. Please take care of yourself.
In addition to the above, there are simple everyday precautions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses. These include:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains 60%-90% alcohol if soap and water are not available. COVID-19 can transmit through both respiratory droplets and via stool, so careful handwashing is critical
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can. Cough or sneeze into your elbow and not your hand if you do not have a tissue available. If you contaminate your hand and then touch other objects, you will spread the virus.
If you are sick, to keep from spreading respiratory illness to others, it is recommended that you:
- Stay home when you are sick with respiratory disease symptoms. At the present time, these symptoms are more likely due to influenza or other respiratory viruses than to the COVID-19 related virus.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Other actions you can take that can meaningfully support your health and ability to fight illness:
- Get good sleep, and prioritize your self-care. Sleep is critical to optimal immune function. If you are sleep-deprived, you are not at your peak immunity.
- Eat nutrient-rich foods, and prioritize a healthy diet. Your diet provides building blocks used by your immune system to fight illness. Without those resources, your immune system will be more challenged.
- Talk to your doctor about optimizing your vitamin D, zinc, and vitamin C levels. These nutrients are particularly important for optimal immune function and may be depleted in the typical diet, and in the winter depending on location.
- Stay hydrated. Water is at the foundation of our health. Clean/filtered water consumed regularly helps keep our whole system functioning optimally, including our immune systems.
As we said at the start of this, the host is everything and here, at Inner Ocean, we have an array of products to help keep your body and immune system working at its most optimal. ViraCon by Vital Nutrients is one of the many products we love here at Inner Ocean. It is packed with Host-Nourishing Herbs and minerals including Zinc, Elderberry, Astragalus, and Licorice among others. We also have an assortment of teas, tinctures, oils, sprays and supplements to help you nourish the body, ease the mind, and settle the spirit.